Class 1 Medical
We offer UK & EASA Class 1 revalidation / renewal medicals including routine eyesight testing, on-site ECG and audiogram, as well as spirometry haemoglobin and cholesterol testing as required. Operating out of our dedicated aeromedical centre, we can offer short notice appointments for both routine medicals and fitness assessments.
Prior to the medical
- You will receive information on what to bring to your appointment in the booking confirmation.
- If you are aware of any significant personal medical history, please ensure you document it in your medical application.
- If you would like a chaperone during your appointment, please read our chaperone policy prior to booking.
- All applicants under 16 must be accompanied by their parent(s) or legal guardian.
What to expect at your medical examination
The Class 1 medical is thorough, taking 1 – 1.5 hrs and includes some or all of the following:
- Review of your medical history including family history, results of any previous examinations and whether you have ever been classed unfit or had a certificate suspended or revoked
- Physical examination
- Eyesight check
- Conversational hearing test and periodic audiogram (carried out in a professional sound booth).
- Urine test for blood, sugars and protein
- Periodic resting Electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Haemoglobin test (every examination), Cholesterol blood tests (at age 40 or if clinically indicated) and Lung function test (if clinically indicated).
Single pilot air transport operations carrying passengers:
|Age (years)||Certificate Validity|
|Under 40||12 months|
|40 plus||6 months|
Other commercial operations:
|Age (years)||Certificate Validity|
|Under 60||12 months|
|60 plus||6 months|
The full CAA medical certificate validity table is available on the CAA website. This provides details on the frequency of periodic testing for ECG, audiogram, opthalmology etc.
The revalidation period for a medical certificate begins 45 days before its expiry date. If you book your medical examination during this period, the validity of your new certificate will be calculated from its original expiry date. If you renew your medical outside the revalidation period the validity of your new certificate will be calculated from the examination date.
The price list for the main elements of the Class 1 medical are listed below. If you are a British Airways pilot please see our main Fees page for a breakdown of our charges, which are in line with the British Airways policy on reclaimable expenses.
|UK Class 1 Medical Exam – Revalidation/Renewal||£150|
|EASA Class 1 Medical Exam – Revalidation/Renewal||£150|
|UK & EASA Class 1 Medical Exam – Revalidation/Renewal||£225|
|Resting ECG + report by a cardiologist (if required)||£65|
|Resting ECG & Audiogram at the same appointment||£100|
|Lipid (Total Cholesterol) Blood Test (first exam over the age of 40)||£25|
|Routine fit/unfit casework (<30 mins admin. time/instance)||No charge|
|Referral to a specialist or to the CAA/other licensing authority. Flat fee*||£75|
|Additional Casework/hour (if required – minimum charge £50)||£100|
* Flat fee covers referral letters, correspondence with the licensing authority, review of specialist reports and issuing fit/unfit letters, as required.
Please refer to the full list of fees for other additional checks & procedures.
We normally offer appointments 3-5 days a week, including Saturdays at The Aeromedical Centre, Corris, Rock Road, West Sussex RH20 3BQ. Appointments can be made using our online booking system, or by telephone.